Monday, August 17, 2009

My Name is Jen and I am a SAHM

I have been a SAHM (Stay at home mom) for over 2 years and I love it! Right from the start I always knew that once I had kids I would stay home with them no matter what (although it is a lot harder than I could have ever imagined). When I was pregnant with baby number one I began to worry that it would not be possible but by the time my mat leave was up things just fell into place. I picked up a few hours on the weekend at a local retail outlet and that was that! Thankfully it worked out so well because number 2 decided he wanted a much earlier appearance than the 3 to 5 year gap DH and I were planning. He decided to make his presence know when #1 was approaching her 1st birthday. I was so glad that I did not have to return to work as I could just imagine the groans I would hear (even if just under there breath) that I would only be back for another few months. 21 months after the birth of baby #1, I was now a mommy of two. When I brought him home I felt that my family was now complete and that my job as a SAHM was only now REALLY just beginning! There is nothing like the first time you are explaining to your toddler why (for the hundredth time) she cannot really eat her homemade mud pies and while doing so you call her by the name of #2! I blamed that slip up on lack of sleep (a good excuse for many things) :)

While we all love our kids, we are human and the kids are going to get on our nerves at times. But remember its like in any workplace when you are in close quarters with people for 8 hours a day (and you are with yours on average 24 hours a day) people need to have space or they get sick of each other ... at least you love your kids, some co-workers you don't even like. If you are feeling overwhelmed just take a few minutes ... make it a habit everyday. Many articles I read say to really let go you need to leave your house without the kids but I know that this is not always possible, especially not every single day. Here is a list of what I do, it may help you:
  • read for a while each night after the kids go to bed (naps count too)
  • relax in a bath and leave your kids in the watch of hubby or another adult
  • take a few minutes to reconnect with friends via sites like Facebook
  • take up a hobby that can be picked up in short time spans (knitting, writing, sketching, sewing, ect, ect)
  • just chill in front of the TV for awhile ... housework can wait ... and you won't mind doing it if you have given yourself a break

Until next time,

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment