Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Mid-week Meal Must Try: Sloppy Joe Wraps

I am going to start posting some easy and healthy meal ideas that you can try when you want to serve something different for dinner. I have come up with most of these ideas by taking a fast food meal my family likes and I coming up with a homemade version that I can easily cook from scratch. It saves money and I am able to maintain taste while at the same time adding a few fresh ingredients.

Today's recipe saves the mess and grease that you normally can associate with Sloppy Joes. I made this for the first time last year and it is now a popular dinner that my Hubby will request when I plan our weekly menu. Why did I use a wrap ... I ran out of buns one night and all we had left were wraps ... :)

Ingredients:
1lb lean mincemeat
1 cup Ketchup
1/4 cup Water
1 teaspoon Worchester Sauce
1 small onion, finely chopped
Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper

1. Brown beef in pan on high heat. Drain excess fat before adding any other ingredients.

2. Once beef is cooked add chopped onion, lower heat. Cook onions until soft and translucent. This takes about 2 - 3 minutes.

3. Once onions are soft add water, ketchup, Worchester sauce, and salt and pepper to beef in pan. Mix together and raise heat to let mixture simmer for 5 minutes, stir occasionally.

4. After simmering turn heat low and let sit for another 5 to 10 minutes allowing sauce to thicken.

5. Take your choice of flat bread and fill with beef filling. Top with your favourite burger toppings and close wrap.

Our family likes lettuce, onions, and a bit of ketchup on ours :)

Can fill aprox. 6, 10" tortilla wraps.

Enjoy!

Till next time,
Jen

2 comments:

  1. ah!yummy..

    today i am visiting via follower club MBC..i am following via google friend connect.. ..can you please follow me back ..thanks dear

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the wrap idea. It would be a lot less messy for the kids. Heck who am I kidding, it would be a lot less messy for me ;o)
    Deanna
    http://www.moneysavingmomcanada.com

    ReplyDelete