Thursday, January 7, 2010

Mid-Week Meal Must Try: Stove Top Beef Stew

Its been so cold here since New Years that I have been busy making comfort food for dinner each night. But don't think I have been slaving over a hot stove all day, just the opposite! I like to make dinners that I can either throw together a half hour before hubby gets home, or one that takes a few minutes to prepare in the early afternoon and then I can just let it cook until dinner time. You've probably noticed this trend if you have been following the blog over the past couple of months :)

So today's meal is one that you leave for a couple of hours on the stove and when hubby gets home its already. It is also great because you can use less expensive cuts of meat due to the fact that as the stew cooks, the liquid breaks it down and the longer it cooks the more tender the meat becomes.

Ingredients:
1lb or more of cubed steak
(what ever cut you prefer, I tend to go for whatever is on sale at the time)
1 small can of beef broth
1/2 cup of flour
1 teaspoon of Italian Seasoning
1/3 cup of water
1 tablespoon butter
8 potatoes cut into quarters
1 small bag baby carrots OR 4-5 regular carrots chopped
3-4 celery stalks chopped
salt and pepper to taste

1. Melt butter in pan.

2. In large pot combine flour, salt, pepper, and Italian Spices. Mix in beef.

3. Once beef is lightly covered with flour mixture, move beef to pan and brown beef on all sides on medium heat. (about 5-7 minutes)

4. Once browned remove beef and put on dish to keep aside for a few minutes.

5. In pot now add broth. Mix it well to combine with leftover flour mixture. Add water at this point as well.

6. Place pot on heat an bring mixture to a boil. Add beef back to pot. Once boiling, cover and lower heat to lowest setting on stove top. Let cook for at least one hour.

7. After 1 hour (or longer if beef is tough), add potatoes, carrots and celery. Continue to let stew cook until potatoes are fully cooked and tender. (I let this last stage cook for about 45 minutes)

Enjoy!

Till next time,
Jen

1 comment:

  1. Hi I am stopping by from MBC, I love the recipe. I cook all of the time. I can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete